Senior Software Engineer
Your responsibilitiesWe’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to contribute to building our core product and help with ongoing maintenance.
- Ruby & Rails: Extremely knowledgeable and proficient in both Ruby and Ruby on Rails. Our main application is a large and complex Ruby on Rails app and requires some deep knowledge to navigate efficiently. Given our small team size, we work with a monolithic application and only break off services when absolutely necessary to keep overhead low. We utilize rails views (ERB) when we can and use React when the UI calls for it. Note that we have a mini ruby project that we’d like to use to help in evaluating skill level.
- Postgres & ActiveRecord: History of working with Postgres and interfacing with Postgres through ActiveRecord. Being able to think about potential performance implications while working through projects is very helpful.
- Full Stack Focused: We are a small team and our projects therefore involve working on both the frontend and backend feature set in parallel to complete projects. Having a generalist mentality is very helpful here.
- Testing: Experience writing rspec tests as well as proven ability to be able to reason through what and when to test.
- Navigating & Internalizing Existing Codebases: Proven history of jumping into existing, complex codebases and becoming productive. Independence and mindset is a key attribute here. While we anticipate there being a learning curve and assisting in that learning, the ability to just dive in and be able to figure things out independently is a huge help during the learning process.
- Debugging, Diagnosing & Investigating Issues: A large part of the job includes investigating and diagnosing application bugs or customer issues. Proven ability to reason through these issues to diagnose problems, present some potential solutions, and convey these issues and solutions in a clear manner to our support team is important.
- Writing & Communication: History of very explicit, clear, and detailed communication including pull requests, git commits, documentation, and general team interactions.
- GitHub: Proficiency with Git, comfortable using GitHub as primary code and project management platform.
- Working Remotely: Proficiency and experience with working remotely.
- English Proficiency: Comfortable clearly and accurately presenting ideas and documenting work in writing (90% of work at Loomly happens asynchronously).